The Benefits of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) in the Retail Environment
Using Closed Circuit Television to protect and monitor your staff, your premises, your stock and your customers makes good business sense. From running a retail warehouse to managing local authority properties, CCTV lets you see exactly what's happening without the need for a physical presence.
In the retail sector, the use of CCTV is not confined to the prevention of crime. Properly designed and implemented, modern digital CCTV also provides valuable management information, as well as crowd control, staff monitoring and support.
With a safer environment and increased peace-of-mind for staff, customers and the general public, there are benefits in terms of increased traffic and business.
Internal shrinkage is a major problem for the retail sector. By using CCTV to monitor cashier activity, these losses can be significantly reduced.
Statistics point to major reductions in the amount of crime being committed where there are cameras are installed. An article in 'New Scientist' magazine showed that simply installing a system can reduce crime, in the areas covered, by over 95%. As our customers inform us that they are having similar results in all types of business, you will begin to appreciate why CCTV is seen by many as the best system for deterrent and detection.
Key Benefits of CCTV within the Retail Environment include:
- Detection and deterrence of internal and external thieves
- Detection and deterrence of collusion between customers and staff
- Presence of CCTV equipment can simply stop offending behaviour because of the perceived increased likelihood of detection.
- Reduction in Internal Shrinkage
- Instant Alerts when trouble arises
- CCTV recording can provide vital evidence in Police Investigations
- Monitor Crowd Control
- Staff safety
- Costly ‘claims’ by customers and staff for slips and falls within the retail environment are becoming more prevalent and CCTV can play a role in providing evidence of the legitimacy of any particular claim
- Identifying staff training issues
"CCTV is a powerful weapon in preventing and detecting crime – just look how it helped us catch the nail bomber in a matter of days. But without proper maintenance, clean lenses and decent tapes it's a bit like looking at things through a snowstorm." Quote by: Metropolitan Police Service Commissioner Sir John Stevens