It Only Takes a Minute - Autumn Burglary Prevention
Burglary continues to be a major issue and now that Autumn has arrived and the evenings are getting darker earlier - this often leads to an increase in burglaries in the area.
With this in mind it's time to think about our home security and business security, take 5 minutes to have a review.
The campaign is titled ‘It Only Takes a Minute’ as it only takes a minute to lock your doors and windows but it is also the same amount of time that it could take a burglar to enter your house and steal your belongings.
The key things to think about are:
- The end of summer and onset of Autumn / Winter meaning dark nights are approaching.
- Traditionally there is an increase in burglary throughout the Autumn and Winter months.
- Burglar alarms and CCTV will deter a burglar from entering your property.
- It only takes a minute to lock your doors and windows to secure your home.
- It only takes a minute to hide valuables out of view.
- It only takes a minute for a burglar to enter your property and steal valuable belongings if your doors or windows are unlocked.
- You should keep doors and windows locked, even when you are in the house and when you get home. Try to change your habit if you don’t lock your door behind you.
- Check that existing home security, such as burglar alarms and external lights, are working and use them to protect your home.
- Being a victim of burglary can have both emotional and financial effects. High value goods are costly to replace if stolen, and items such as phones and cameras often hold information with sentimental value such as photos, which cannot be replaced.
- Many insurance companies will not pay out if your home has been burgled while insecure.
- Don’t leave garden tools or furniture outside, as they can be used by burglars to enter your property.
- Dispose of packaging for expensive items properly; don’t advertise what is in your house.
- Consider downloading free tracking software for items such as laptops or mobile phones.
If you would like some advice on security or to arrange a free security survey please call 01442 531031 or email