Advice on Burglary Prevention - Berkhamsted & Tring
Following a series of Burglaries in the local area including Tring, Berkhamsted & Dunstable police are urging residents to be extra vigilant in regards to their home security.
Some advice on burglary prevention from ASH Security:
- Ensure all garden tools are secured. In some of the recent break-ins the offenders have used tools taken from garden sheds in order to break into properties. Make sure your Sheds are secured. This includes locks and alarms.
- Install an intruder alarm - burglars will always go for the easiest target, a burglar alarm is a visual deterrent. If you have an alarm system installed, make sure it is regularly maintained and always set it before leaving the property or at night.
- Alarm systems are a worthwhile investment in the protection of your home and family. Studies reveal that it is far less likely that you will become the victim of a burglary at home if you have a correctly fitted and well maintained burglar alarm.
- Ensure you lock all windows and doors when you leave your property, keep items of value out of view and look out for suspicious activity and report anything out of the ordinary to police.
- The door should be fitted with a 5 lever mortice deadlock
- Never leave any house or car keys visible.
- Make sure you double-lock any UPVC doors by lifting the handle and locking it (to engage the security features) before you go to bed or leave your home (if you remove the key make sure you have a fire escape plan).
- Secure your rear garden – lock your shed, shut and lock any gates and keep fences maintained. Don’t leave ladders and tools outside – they could be used by a burglar
- Don’t leave any boxes which advertise to thieves what’s available in your home outside by the dustbin. Where possible, keep your wheelie bin a good distance behind the gate or fence to prevent them being used to get into the garden.
- Post code marking your valuables with a UV pen and registering them on a free property database like www.immobilise.com can work as a deterrent to thieves and can increase the chances of your property being recovered if it is stolen.
To download a copy of the Home Security Survey recently produced by Hertfordshire Police click here
To discuss your security needs call us now on 01442 531031